Transgender Care Team Navy Medicine East (TGCT-NME)
The Transgender Care Team mission is to meet on a regular basis to provide multidisciplinary comprehensive treatment planning and restore, sustain, and enhance the health and wellbeing of transgender service members serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. The care team will oversee and, in many cases, provide mental health, hormonal, and surgical interventions as needed to facilitate the gender transition process.
The TGCT-NME will provide services for geographic areas located within the responsibility of Navy Medicine East. The Sponsoring Command for the TGCT-NME will be Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
The TGCT-NME is a multidisciplinary team composed of Primary Care, Behavioral Health, Endocrinology, Surgical Specialties, Care Coordinator (Case Manager), Social Work and as needed any other specialties deemed appropriate. The team is led by a Transgender Care Team Chair (O5 or above). Co-chair (selected by Chairman) is provided by TGCT-NME point of contact.
Chair, Transgender Care Team
- Leads all treatment team meetings.
- Ensures all team members maintain adequate training and readiness to fully practice within the standards of care.
- Acts as central liaison and consultant between the TGCT- NME and interested parties to include patients, hospital and command points of contact, and commanding officers.
Admin Officer, Transgender Care Team POC
- Provides support for service members seeking transgender-related evaluation and care.
- Ensures team members, PCMs, care coordinator, and military mental health providers are up-to-date on current DoD, SECNAV, and BUMED policies and guidance on the treatment of transgender service members.
- Monitors and ensures all questions and concerns of transgender service members are appropriately addressed.
- Works in consort with board chair to develop board meeting minutes and assign when appropriate team members care coordination for service members cases.
- Maintains Transgender Care Team SharePoint and email distributions.
- Oversees Care Coordinator board trackers and reports requested by leadership.
- Maintains competency through continuing education to manage transgender populations.
- Provides input in respective fields to the development of the treatment plan.
- When appropriate, execute treatment as prescribed in the treatment plan.