Primary care is a health service you get from a primary care provider or primary care manager (or PCM) during a doctor’s visit. Some of these services include:
• Routine care, like an annual physical exam
• Medical treatment for nonemergency or nonurgent care
• Follow-up care if you have ongoing medical problems
• Preventive health care, like immunizations and allergy shots
• Family planning
• Patient education and counseling
Primary care also includes medically necessary diagnostic laboratory and X-ray procedures and tests. Primary care is used to treat adults and children, including infants and newborns.