Notice for COVID-19 impact on Navy Medicine Research and Training Command, Portsmouth Refractive Surgery for warfighters program:
Refractive Surgery is considered an elective procedure. Due to COVID-19, all preoperative exams and surgeries were at a complete stop for 3 months (March through May 2020). We have resumed schedules, but at a significantly reduced capacity in order to ensure the safety for our patients and staff. Our first priority to scheduling is for those patients who were cancelled during the 3 month shut down, which has impacted everyone who follows. For awareness, we had planned surgery dates 5 months in advance, even before the cancellations started, so it will take time to get caught up.
It is important that you keep in mind, even under normal operating procedures, there is not a way for us to predict how long the wait would be for any candidate. There are 4 priority levels, high demand, and we only have 2 surgeons at this time. Unfortunately, we do not have the staff resources to provide patients periodic status updates about their wait.
Refractive Surgery Waiting List Information
Our database is very large and, due to the nature of our patients op-tempos, extremely dynamic. Unfortunately, this makes it very difficult to accurately predict waiting times. We recognize that most applicants are very anxious to have surgery, but we cannot provide accurate individual estimates of waiting times.
Please do not contact us for status updates. We are doing everything possible to expedite the process and will consider your application as soon as possible.
email@example.com is available to answer questions about refractive surgery in general. We look forward to assisting you in the future.
Refractive Surgery Consult Form
- Download and print the Refractive Surgery Consult Form
- Completely fill out all information in Part 1 of the form.
- Commanding Officer fills out Part 3 of the form.
- Schedule a routine optometry appointment at your nearest Military Treatment Facility or Branch Clinic. Take the form and your health record to the appointment; the doctor will complete Part 2 of the form. The refractive surgery consult must be completed and signed off by an MTF vision care provider. As a military sponsored program, civilian eye exams & signatures are not authorized.
- Email form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You should receive an email shortly after confirming receipt of the email. If you do not get a return email within 24 hours please check to ensure email is entered correctly.
- You will be contacted with further information when your name comes to the top of our database. To contact our staff or to report changes in the contact information on your application: email@example.com